RE: [nv-l] servmon and itmquery in NV 7.1.4

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] servmon and itmquery in NV 7.1.4
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:49:10 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:00:40 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
James I was never asked to join the beta. I am pathologically unable to decline participaiting in betas. I cannot prevent signing non-disclosure agreements, my hand magically signs them without my willing consent. I've sought counseling. Believe me, I would have participated.

Now, I did participate in the switch analyzer beta and had to curtail my efforts there because of poor timing of code release in conjunction with large work projects arriving suddenly. If the person still running the beta tests is Mark W, I've known him for at least 10 years and participated in several NetView ESP's and betas (mainframe and otherwise), there should be no question I would be available for beta testing.

I guess in response to your other question, it boils down to this. I see NetView evolving and de-evolving all at the same time. It suffers from schizophrenia driven by "marketing". Now don't get me wrong, the method being used to survey people and get enhancement requests into the developers hands is valid and acceptable. But I often wonder about the desire to please everyone all the time. This feature was not ready. It has all the earmarks. Documented features that aren't there, confusion in support over what the feature is supposed to do, and the inability of level 3 to provide a spec that I can code the status application against - the programmers can't tell me how to write code to interface with it. C'mon.

And frustration, anger, disappointment are all the result of a simple response from level 3-- they said "no" to something that black letters on white paper said should be there. At some point in time, software companies become accountable. If it were a car, or a washing machine, or a child's toy, it would NOT be acceptable to say the product does something it does not. But in the software industry liberties are taken through oversight, lack of planning and poor judgment. My anger is not so much as an individual programmer as it is at an organization that from time to time demonstrates that if they had 4 arms, the would not be able to find a left one.