Re: [nv-l] NetView setup of Multiple CPUs

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView setup of Multiple CPUs
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:19:18 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:32:33 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

There are no such switches.
NetView doesn't know or care how many cpus you have.
It is up to the OS to assign processes to cpus.

That said,
You didn't indicate how you determined what NetView is using but I'd say you have to be mistaken.  Every process you can see with "ps -ef | grep /usr/OV" is running on just one cpu?   Seems incredible.

There are over 20 daemons in a standard NetView installation.  Surely some of them run on a different cpu.
It is true however that in UNIX they are mostly single-threaded so it is unlikely that you will see the same daemon on more than one cpu at a time.
The only exceptions would be those daemons with an imbedded java thread.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

12/16/2003 09:40 AM