Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem
From: Allie M Hopkins <allie@lsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:13:55 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:37:17 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Unfortunately, that doesn't work either.  Anything with the vfb extension
causes the usage statement.  I found the virtual frame buffer documentation
early last week and read it pretty thoroughly before contacting this list.
I also tried the recommended call in those docs.  It's as if I don't have
vfb installed.  That extension is not even in the usage statement.  The
-sme extension refers to vfb, but that doesn't work either.  Brian (the
original poster from last year) has opened a case with IBM.  I'm hoping to
hear from him what the results are.

Allie

|         |           George deSocio   |
|         |           <desocio@us.ibm.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           12/15/2003 06:42 |
|         |           nv-l             |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                          |
  |       cc:       (bcc: Allie M Hopkins/allie/LSU)
                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

X :2 -vfb &

As simple as it looks, works.

-force doesn't seem to be documented... anywhere I can find.

-x are extensions, which don't seem to be needed for NetView... the
extensions shown in Paul's post are not documented either.

My test was the simple case and worked, and I would go with that until it
fails or hangs netviewd.

Pauls command line is a direct quote from the AIX 5 doc (link below). For
the longest time the Xvfb doc was gone. At some point it was updated and
re-posted with the AIX 5 doc. And the command syntax has changed. I happy
to find it again.

The doc also shows how to test and see what is in the vfb, which is tedious
but cool.

See:

http://publibn.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/aixwnpgd/xvfb.htm

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660 CC102
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

919-254-2259 (T/L 444) Fax: 919-543-7936 (T/L 441)

E-Mail: desocio@us.ibm.com

Expand your Tivoli product knowledge by participating in Support Technical
Exchange:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.html
(Embedded image moved to file: pic00491.gif)Inactive hide details for Paul
<pstroud@bellsouth.net>Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>

 (Embedd (Embedded image moved to file:              (Embedded image
 ed      pic11942.gif)                               moved to file:
 image                           Paul                pic04827.gif)
 moved                           <pstroud@bellsouth.
 to                              net>                To:
 file:                           Sent by:            nv-l@lists.us.ibm.co
 pic0299                         owner-nv-l@lists.us m
 5.gif)                          .ibm.com            cc:
                                                     Subject: Re: [nv-l]
                                                     X11 vfb problem
                                 12/15/2003 06:40 PM
                                 Please respond to
                                 nv-l

I googled a bit and came up with this command line:

/usr/lpp/X11/bin/X -force -vfb -x GLX -x abx -x dbe :n &

Now this doesn't really look any different than yours,
it adds some additional x-extensions which should not
be needed for NetView and -force. Try the command line
above and see if it works, if not, I think its time to
contact AIX and find out what the "new" command line
is(the page I found this on metioned 5.1). If you have
to go that route, please write back and let us know what
you come up with! If it does work, try it without the
-x options. Also, make sure something weird hasn't happened
and something is already using :2, try starting it with :3.

Paul

Paul