Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:40:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:59:46 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I googled a bit and came up with this command line:

/usr/lpp/X11/bin/X -force -vfb -x GLX -x abx -x dbe :n &

Now this doesn't really look any different than yours,
it adds some additional x-extensions which should not
be needed for NetView and -force. Try the command line
above and see if it works, if not, I think its time to
contact AIX and find out what the "new" command line
is(the page I found this on metioned 5.1). If you have
to go that route, please write back and let us know what
you come up with! If it does work, try it without the
-x options. Also, make sure something weird hasn't happened
and something is already using :2, try starting it with :3.

Paul

Paul

Allie M Hopkins wrote:

There are no man pages installed for xvfb or Xvfb.  This is an extension of
X and should be a switch X -vfb.  I am running AIX 5.1.0-04 with X11.vfb
installed.  Again, this worked just fine before the reboot.  The reboot was
done just to ensure a clean slate before some maintenance.  Perhaps my
libpath is not set right.  Anyone else running in my environment willing to
share their libpath?  I'm reaching, but I'm desperate.

Allie

|         |           Paul             |
|         |           <pstroud@bellsout|
|         |           h.net>           |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           12/15/2003 04:39 |
|         |           nv-l             |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                          |
  |       cc:       (bcc: Allie M Hopkins/allie/LSU)
                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Try man xvfb or Xvfb. What platform are you running?

Paul

Allie M Hopkins wrote:

That didn't help.  What I meant to say earlier was that even when I run
/usr/bin/X11/X -vfb -n :2 I get the same result - the usage statement.  I
should be able to run this from the command line w/o the & to test if

this

is working.  No dice.

Allie

|         |           George deSocio   |
|         |           <desocio@us.ibm.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           owner-nv-l@lists.|
|         |           us.ibm.com       |
|         |           12/15/2003 03:54 |
|         |           nv-l             |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

 |       To:       nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

 |       cc:       (bcc: Allie M Hopkins/allie/LSU)

 |       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] X11 vfb problem

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

edit startXvfb

make sure the & is the last character in the line; (in vi the cursor

should

not go past the ampersand)
delete any following blank lines

That fixed it on my lab system

AIX only

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660 CC102
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

919-254-2259 (T/L 444) Fax: 919-543-7936 (T/L 441)

E-Mail: desocio@us.ibm.com

Expand your Tivoli product knowledge by participating in Support

Technical

Exchange:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.html