Re: [nv-l] Ruleset editor for Windows?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Ruleset editor for Windows?
From: CMazon@commercebankfl.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:16:21 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:22:50 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Thanks for the info James.  What I wanted to do is create a similar ruleset to what is already there for the Node down for 10 minutes, however instead of using Netview's traps, we wanted to use Cisco's traps with the same general idea. Wait 10 or 5 minutes and then generate and event/trap if the interface did not come back up so that an alert (email) can be sent. We are not using TEC which I know can probably do this for us so I was hoping to use the builtin features of Netview. But if I understand what you are stating with the first apar mentioned below, this ruleset is not functional because it keeps detecting the same agent as coming up or down so If I have a 2 down node events, and one comes up, it automaticly stops the rule since it detected the same agent as up.  (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I can see now why almost everyone uses Netview for AIX or Solaris but it is hard me to justify a Unix box just for one product when we are a totaly Windows environment.  Are there any similar limits to using Netview for Linux.  I know in the previous versions there was no data store house (DB) for Linux but not sure for the new version?  Would I get similar functionality (if not complete) in Linux as compared to Unix? What about using a Windows client with a Linux server (I believe this not possible)?

Thanks again

Carlos

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com