Re: [nv-l] detail information

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] detail information
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:56:37 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:23:17 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well, Chris, I suspect that certain details about how discovery is actually done would be considered proprietary. Not to make anybody mad, but because it is a differentiating feature among products in this field.

How to USE the discovery capability is another matter. That is covered in the Admin Guide. More is available in the man pages for the daemons. Beyond that, asking specific questions in this forum as they come to you is a good way to go, I think. People here are pretty helpful if you have poked around a bit and can ask a clear question. The archives of this listserver are also very helpful.  http://lists.skills-1st.co.uk/mharc/html/nv-l/

I'll take a stab at a couple of the items you listed.

Which interface is a router found by? It is found by the closest one to the netview server, unless you force its discovery by a particular interface by specifying it in the seedfile. Then the labeling of the device depends on name resolution provided by the operating system.

Assigning your wan routers to location submaps: First try a manual arrangement and see what is useful for you. You can manually create the location icons for a couple of your remote sites right there on the IP Internet level submap. Cut (from THIS submap) the remote routers and paste it into the location submap. See how it looks. If the network between them is serial, it will probably be drawn as a straight line, no bubble. Include subnets for the far side of the remote router in the remote location submap. You might end up with you two core routers loose on the top map, and a dozen or so remote location icons, each containing a remote router and a few subnets. Once you get the hang of it, then go back to the location.conf file and codify it. To see how to specify the networks, look at one on the map with 'Tools....Display Object Info' and look at its Network Address.  Specifying that 4-octet thing would place that exact network.

Detroit

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

01/20/2004 02:19 PM