Re: [nv-l] Router hostname at TEC Console

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Router hostname at TEC Console
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:57:01 +0000
Cc: tme10@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:25:49 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi Mario,
The way to do this is to make sure your NetView system has access to a good DNS system. The recommended way of configuring your routers in DNS is to put the loopback or management IP address in the forward DNS files and to make sure that ALL interfaces go in the reverse DNS files. I would then put the router names into my NetView seedfile to ensure discovery.

If your existing NetView database already has all this information, we have used a combination of scripting and nvdbformat to create DNS files from an existing NetView.

Cheers,
Jane

Mario Behring wrote:

Hi lists,
Usually, for NetView, the hostname of the network device, router or switch, is the IP address from which it is discovered. And this IP address is the one that shows up at the TEC Console Hostname column. How can I configure, if that is even possible, NetView (or TEC ??) for the real name of the device to show up at the Hostname column at the TEC Console ?? Normally we have a router hostname at *.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.local.lmem.hostName* or *lsystem.hostName*. Any ideas ? Thanks. Mario Behring ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. *Try it!* <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21608/*http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/>

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights