Re: [nv-l] Upgrading from 711 to 714

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Upgrading from 711 to 714
From: George deSocio <desocio@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:17:44 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:26:10 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Brian,

James is absolutely right in his advice to you.

My advice is you should open a PMR with support to help solve your "dies in various places" migration failures.

Two tips:

Once a migration fails, depending on where you fail, you can very easily find yourself in a situation where there is no way to succeed, unless you restore the system before your next attempt. For example, assuming UNIX, if you fail in either of the two final steps of installation, and if you do not completely cleanup the installation and reattempt with the originally created /usr/OV.back* filesystem, all subsequent attempts to migrate will either overtly fail or yield incorrect results. This is because the system now has an updated ODM entry for the new version of NetView, which results in incorrect migration decisions being made in the scripting that does the migration work. Only the /usr/OV.back.* filesystem created before the first failure contains the correct "from" version information. So as James pointed out, the /usr/OV.back.* that was created either by you with serversetup, or the first one created by your first migration attempt (or after complete restores after failures) are invaluable and should be protected. This all assumes you are going to drive to completion, the migration effort in one session. If you have to wait for a window of opportunity in the future, and in-between, run production NetView, it is best to completely restore, prove all is well, and create a new /usr/OV.back.* filesystem or allow migration to create it, in your next window. That way your migration will migrate in the latest databases.

Another problem that can arise is if you create a /usr/OV.back* filesystem (usually using serversetup) on one system, say your production server, and move it to a new target system, say a lab or test box, that has a different IP address or hostname or domain name. New daemon registrations may fail because /usr/OV.back.*/conf/ovors is copied onto the target system and will indicate the source system's internet identity, causing ovaddobj (daemon registration) to fail and installation to terminate. (The easy solution to this is to remove the /usr/OV.back.*/conf/ovors file before running the migration that will use it. Remember this is necessary if any part of the target internet identity is different from the source).

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660 CC102
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

E-Mail: desocio@us.ibm.com

Expand your IBM Tivoli product knowledge by participating in Support Technical Exchange:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.html
Inactive hide details for James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUSJames Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

          James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com