Re: [nv-l] The use of HTTP for node up/down instead of ping or sn mp ?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] The use of HTTP for node up/down instead of ping or sn mp ?
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:12:40 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:17:32 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Jason,
There is a trap in NetView 58916971(I believe that is correct) that will
allow the user to change the color of a device on the map with this
trap. Its fairly easy to use.

Paul

Duppong, Jason wrote:

Hi Larry,
I'm in the middle of writing a script that will be responsible for testing "basic functionality" of all our production Windows and Unix boxes. The systems will be tested using a combination of Samba and sshquery.pl. Our thinking is that when a basic function check fails it would send a trap to the Netview management server causing another product we are using to do network correlation. The function checks run in parallel with the normal SNMP and ICMP checks that Netview does. It would be easy enough to do something similar in your situation, you could group all your "HTTP" servers in a smartset and then use a script to list the items in the smartset and run "checks" against them (A quick shell script doing a wget would be easy enough). If this check fails then you could send a trap to Netview. In my case I'm using Coordinator from Magnum Technologies to handle the correlation of network related problems, but someone on this list might know of a way to integrate the TRAP into an event that Netview could do something with. In my cause I only need to notify Coordinator, but I would love to also manipulate the color of the symbol if the function check fails.... this is a future goal :) Hope this gives you some ideas. Jason