RE: [nv-l] seed file

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] seed file
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:17:54 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:31:55 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

NetView documentation gives the advice to put a caching name server on your Netview Server.   I would take that a step further and 'fix' troublesome nameserver configurations.

1.  Run named on your NetView server

2.  Using an external process, discover your network and bring in the names

3. Using a script, process the NetView topology database and generate your own DNS zone files.  Put in the SNMP address of the device into the name lookup table.  Put ALL the interfaces into the reverse lookup files so that they map to the device name NetView is using.

4.  Update your resolv.conf to use your local DNS first, then network DNS second.   This will give you good solid NetView DNS support with very little CPU costs.  New devices coming in will get their name from the network DNS.   Their name will be configured into the local DNS the next time you run your script to process the NetView database.

This drastically reduces CPU loads from large host files.   The nice thing is that once you have your script written, it is very close to painless for maintaining the names.

Monday, March 08, 2004 3:08 PM