Re: [nv-l] seed file

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] seed file
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:05:14 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:18:36 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Chris,
Only use one IP for each device, you are causing netmon to do a lot of
additional and unecessary cycles. Let me explain:

netmon reads the entries from the seedfile, pings the node, if it
responds, it is added to the database and an SNMP poll in scheduled.
When the device is polled via SNMP all the interfaces are discovered
and finally the full device is added to the map.

If you put multiple IPs in the seedfile for the same device it will be
added and polled mutliple times, one for each ip in the seedfile. This
is uneccesary as netmon will already discover it via SNMP. That and
you might confuse things. Ie. netmon discovers on interface and adds it and finds another interface and adds it before the first SNMP poll
is completed. Now it must delete one of the devices(as we know they
are on the same device) and fixup the correct device. This is all
uneccesary processing.

The best practice is to add a single interface from each device.

Paul

Christopher J Petrina wrote:

Greetings all,

UNIX netview. Using a seefile forl imited discovery. In the seedfile I have multiple entries (multiple IP's) for the same device, ie(every ip interface of a single router) is in the seedfile. When netview runs through the seedfile it finds the first IP of a device when it comes to the second IP of that device what does netview do. Each IP interface also has an entryo in DNS as well. Does netview change the name of the device if it finds another name. Also once it has initially found it, and then polls the device (SNMP) what name will it chose for the device in netview, and why does it sometimes change the name of the device.

Chris Petrina