Re: [nv-l] Libraries to run sample C++ code

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Libraries to run sample C++ code
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:36:30 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:37:48 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Don't run it from Visual C++, run it from the command line.  The libraries you mention are now part of dlls you should find automatically if you can run any other NetView executable from the command line.  Besides you need to specify a value when you run the thing.  It is a command-line utility not a GUI app.

Did you load the name_to_oid.dsp file?  I did and everything compiles just fine using Visual Studio 5.0, for which this all was written.
On my system, after I loaded the project, I compiled name_oid.c and got two warnings about externs. Then I built the executable, opened a command window to  \usr\ov\prg_samples\nvsnmp_app  and entered

        name_oid.exe  .1.3.6.1.4.1
it returned
        ObjectID : .1.3.6.1.4.1
        Mnemonic : .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises

which is what I expect.

As for other examples, since I don't work in that area, I cannot answer for why some are not present or whether those are not should be.
The programming samples were all originally written on UNIX and not all of them are supported on Windows.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

igastelu@unm.edu
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/09/2004 01:21 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Libraries to run sample C++ code

Hi, I am trying to run the sample program

usr\ov\prg_samples\nvsnmp_app\name_to_oid

However when I try to run it from my visual C++, I have an error
because it can not find the library libovc.lib. In

usr/ov/lib

libovc.lib and libovcmapi.lib are missing.

What I want to do is to poll the Forwarding tables of my switches,
thereis a source code on the NVProgramers guide that does what I want,
but I am having trouble with something much easier.  By the way the I
do not have the getTable.c that was supposed to be with the
name_to_oid.c

Thanks