[nv-l] Windows SNMP Agent Configuration

To: "Nv-L (nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Windows SNMP Agent Configuration
From: "Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:40:39 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:53:15 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
This is a little off topic but is SNMP related.

On the Windows SNMP agent service on the Agent tab there is a Service
section. In the service section there are the following selection options:

Physical

Applications

Internet

End-to-End

Datalink and Subnetwork

I have had very little luck finding documentation on what these values
actually do. I found some documentation explaining what they mean but not
what happens when you select them. Are there additional MIB values that are
available when they are selected or are there different traps sent from the
agent depending on these selections? I selected all of the options,
restarted the agent and snmpwalked the box and I don't see any difference in
that and when End-to-End and Applications are selected. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

I am currently working with a Windows 2000 server, but the Winnt 4 and
Windows 2003 server have the same options.

Thanks,

Scott Bursik