[nv-l] Common tasks performed with NetView

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Common tasks performed with NetView
From: James Markham <markhaja@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:41:49 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:05:05 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I'm back with some more questions. I work on the interaction design team for TEC. As you know, TEC and NetView now ship as part of the same product. Interaction design's purpose is to try to understand the customer's business goals, and to design the particular product to assist in meeting these goals.

Just a little feedback from my previous set of questions regarding maps. I received 20 responses regarding map usage. The information is going to be quite useful. Thank you all very much!

This time my questions are related to things that operators and administrators commonly do with NetView.

1) What platform and version of operating system is your NetView server running on? Windows, AIX, Linux...
   a) What version of NetView are you currently running?

2) What are the 5 most common things/tasks your operators do while using NetView? If you could, please give me a little information about the circumstances behind what they are doing.
An example of a common thing/task might be, the operator sees a device down, and then goes to the command line to issue a ping. Some additional explanation might be to explain why the operator uses the command line, rather than the built in NetView ping. Another example might be, the operator sees a device down, selects the device on the map, and issues a "demand poll". Another example might be, the operator sees a device down, and telnets to the device. Some additional explanation might be, if this is fairly frequent, what is the operator doing while they are telneted in...

3) What are the 5 most common things/tasks your administrators do with NetView? If you could, please give me a little information about the circumstances behind what they are doing.
An example of a common thing/task, the administrator needs to add a device to the seed file. The administrator brings up the editor, edits netmon.seed, and saves their changes. The administrator then restarts netmon. Some additional explanation might be to explain why the administrator does not use the built in seed file editor...

4) What 2 or 3 tasks do you perform with NetView that are difficult or clumsy to do?

Thank you!

Jim Markham
Tivoli Systems
IBM Software Group