Re: [nv-l] How to populate hostname in TEC slot mapping

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] How to populate hostname in TEC slot mapping
From: "Bernard Disselborg" <BDisselborg@triple-p.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:19:50 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:27:52 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Jane,

I didn't define a specific slot mapping for hostname, just defined the
trap in a ruleset to forward it to TEC.
This should be sufficient for just trap forwarding.

HTH,

Bernard

>>> jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk 22-04-2004 9:56:06 >>>
Hi Bernard,
Thanks for this.  The hostname would contain dashes - our DNS is
skills-1st.  What variable did you use to populate the hostname to
TEC???

Thanks,
Jane

Bernard Disselborg wrote:

>Jane,
>
>Does the hostname contains dashes/hyphens ?
>Then this might be related to a problem I had: if the hostname
contain
>dashes the hostname field was not populated for traps forwarded to
TEC.

>This was for traps received from the network, NetView events were
sent
>correctly.
>
>It was solved with testfix IY52429 (which needed IY51641 as prereq).
>
>HTH,
>
>Bernard

>NetView 7.1.4 for Unix.
>I want  be able to populate the hostname TEC slot for any generic
TRAP

>that NetView is configured to forward to TEC.    Default events in
>TEC_ITS.rs seem to get hostname populated automatically.  If I wsa
>configuring a NetView TRAP for automatic action, I'd use $A for the
>machine that sent the TRAP.  Is there an equivalent environment
>variable
>to use for slot mapping.  I've tried $HOSTNAME and $A to no avail.
>
>Cheers,
>Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2004 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All