RE: [nv-l] Managing routers with duplicated IP address

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Managing routers with duplicated IP address
From: Oliver Bruchhaeuser <oliver.bruchhaeuser@de.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:15:47 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:27:46 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

the %-entries in the seefile will frist become active after a netmon restart.
A "netmon -y" only will not do the job.

You may also want to play with the netmon option in /usr/OV/conf/netmon.conf:
----
# Set to TRUE to report duplicate IP addresses, don't remove them.
NV_NETMON_REPORT_DUP_ADDRS_ONLY=TRUE
----

Oliver

"Gerardo Ruiz Garcia" <gerardo_ruiz@inicia.es>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

23.04.2004 09:13
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] Managing routers with duplicated IP address

I have the same problem with the WAN conexions Frame_Relay. The configuration
of a duplicate IP addess in two routers is for CVP+ feature implemented
for backup reason. In this way if a conexion fails other router with the
same IP addess configured takes the control. Both IP are Admin Up. The topology
map doesn´t r show the right situation, sometimes the conexjon is in one
router and sometimes in the other one, depens of teh demandpool secuence.
I have try HSRP feature and doen`t work.

is
from /usr/OV/conf/netmon.seed.

#    Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP) Support
#
#      HSRP interfaces may be specified here for netmon to acknowledge them.
#      Onl
> the public IP address need be entered.
#
#      Use the prefix '%', and use the same syntax for ranges and wildcards
#      described above for positive seed entries.  For instance, if 1.1.1.1

#      is the IP address of the HSRP interface that
>switches between two
#      routers, enter,
#
#         %1.1.1.1

Other reasons may exist for doing so and NV can handle accidental duplicate
interface adddresses on routers but it doesn't like it.  It definitely won't
handle routers whose prim
>ry interface addresses are duplicated; as you've
seen it will delete one of them.  To give you a better answer we need to
know why there are duplicate addresses.  The solution may be to use CNAT
or
it may be to identify the devices as HSRP or it ma
> be simply to clean up
your network interface definitions.

If you search the archives for this mailing list you will see a few cases
where the HSRP support is used to handle duplicate IF addresses present
for
other reasons.

You simply have
>'t given enough information for anyone to send an
intelligent answer.  Why do your routers have duplicate addresses?

Bill Evans
Tivoli NetView Support for DOE
301-903-0057