Re: [nv-l] install NV7.1.4 fails

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] install NV7.1.4 fails
From: George deSocio <desocio@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 09:26:13 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:48:07 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Helen,

Save your /usr/OV.back.v7r1 filesystem !!  Protect it !!

Not enough information to debug your installation problem.

Please post the /tmp/update.log (please cut out the licensing verbiage).

If you wish to remove Framework, now is a good time to do it unless you have since restored your NetView back to running.  If so, ovtopmd is  dependent on shared libraries in $LIBDIR (the Tivoli shared library directory environment variable defined in /etc/Tivoli/setup_env.sh (see below)).
Unfortunately, there isn't a built-in automatic way to remove Framework.  I suggest you open a PMR with Framework support so they can walk you through removing it completely.
If you prefer doing it yourself, stop the oserv daemon, then comment out the start of oserv from the bottom of /etc/rc.nfs.
Then look in the script /etc/Tivoli/setup_env.sh and note all the Tivoli directories used.  Double check them to be sure they are Tivoli stuff, and then move them (don't delete this stuff until you know you are safe and up on a Framework independent NetView).  Then move /etc/Tivoli.
Search your system for anything with the word Tivoli or tivoli in it.  Investigate, move.  Remember all that you've done.
If you are otherwise a Framework shop, your Framework administrator should be notified you have removed a managed node from the network.  If you are only a Framework user on one (the NetView) machine because at one time you had to be, then you are probably done.

If any of this is too terse, please call support !!  Deeper investment by us requires some accounting you understand :-)

Remove NetView's partial failed installation using the script on the cdrom

Save your /usr/OV.back.v7r1 filesystem !!  Protect it !!

Run the migration installation again using the install script from the cdrom

If this new attempt fails, open a PMR.  I or someone will want to see every file in /tmp created during the installation.

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio
IBM Americas Support - Distributed Network Management
Dept 46-E1ZA
IBM B660  CC102
HWY 54 & 600 Park Offices
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

919-254-2259 (T/L 444)  Fax: 919-543-7936 (T/L 441)

E-Mail:  desocio@us.ibm.com

Expand your IBM Tivoli product knowledge by participating in Support Technical Exchange:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.html

"Cloostermans Helen (DBB)" <Helen.Cloostermans@dexia.be>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/28/2004 07:20 AM
Please respond to

<nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] install NV7.1.4 fails

Hello,

I tried to upgrade from NV 7.1.3 to NV 7.1.4 (on AIX 5.1), but the installation failed.
I changed the /etc/security/limits file and set the nofiles descriptor to 32767, but the installation failed again.
I have run the uninstnv script and tried again, but the installation still fails.
After searching on the support site, I found APAR IY50969, stating that if you have Framework installed, you should perform the installation through Framework and not via the command-line instalnv command (what I've done). I still have Framework installed on the server, but it isn't used anymore (and won't start anymore either), so I'm willing to remove it.
Do you think this might solve my problem, and if so, what is the easiest way to remove Framework from my server (it's been so long that I used it.)

Here's a part of NVS_714_NVFCONF_after.error :
+ /usr/OV/install/tools/nvconfigbf
 Running customize script for fileset OVMIN-LICENSE.
   Making links....
 Running customize script for fileset OVMIN.
   Making links....
 Running customize script for fileset OVWIN.
   Making links....
 Running customize script for fileset OVCI-RUN.
   Making links....
 Running customize script for fileset OVSNMP-RUN.
ERROR:     Customize script for fileset OVSNMP-RUN exited with code 2.
ERR_cfgbf_001
+ dspmsg -s 5 nv6000.cat 9999 nvconfigbf:    Failing doing configuration with exit code %s\n 2
+ 1>> /tmp/update.log
+ err_chk 2 bcfg_210 RUN_SCRIPT /usr/OV/install/tools/nvconfigbf
ERR_bcfg_210
+ dspmsg -s 5 nv6000.cat 9999 base:    Failing base.config with exit code %s\n 2
+ 1>> /tmp/update.log
base:    Saving log files to /tmp/NVfail.tar

Thanks in advance,
Helen

Dexia Bank disclaimer :
http://www.dexia.be/maildisclaimer.htm