RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Correlation

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Correlation
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:47:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:02:37 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I'll try to keep this simple James, and answer your questions at the same time, here is the flow:

Mainframe NetMaster
Enterprise trap when an SNA device fails
Received by NetView
Trigger ruleset via ESE.automation that calls script
Script parses event picking out important data (SNA PU NAME & STATUS)
Script uses a TCP socket connection to a listening script
Listening script interrogates it's hash table of 1100+ devices for name and location of the client affected
Listening script issues our own trap (i.e. node down or node up)

The listening script is used because I wanted to avoid having to load a hash of 1100 customers (or do equivalent file I/O) in the event of large scale outages. When we IPL the mainframe, we are going to receive events on ALL SNA PUs and spawning several hundred copies of the script loading the hash with 1100 customers would be an incredible resource hog. So I have the listening script load the hash and run like a daemon and accept requests from small individual scripts that have parsed out the relavent data.

The logging shows this:

Trapd.log shows all 34 down events and all 34 up events from the mainframe (duration beyond the timers)
The small script which parses logged all 34 down and all 34 up events
The listener program generated all 34 down and all 34 up events (the ones the timers care about)
A second ruleset is used to catch the listener-generated node down and up events and trigger the notification script to TEC (it appears not all resulted in triggering the notification script)
Notification to TEC only occured on 12.
TEC console only shows 12 up events and leaves the remainder as open.

So, one of two conditions exist. My listener program did receive all the events, and did generate the traps. Therefore, either ruleset correlation was only able to correlate a maximum of 12 (and thus did not fire the notification script), OR the notification script has problems generate 34 calls to TEC (we use postemsg, not TEC forwarding). I would rule out the listener program having an issue on the basis that it was able to generate all the down and up traps even during the heaviest of volumes I have observed. Somewhere, the ruleset correlation failed, or the TEC postemsg failed.

As far as actionsvr firing up 34/35 processes, that should be okay. These NetView servers have dual 1.0 Ghz processors and 2gb of memory. We have other "storm-like" situations that we handle a volume equal to or larger than this. In those cases though, I don't have the hold-down timers and the second ruleset.

Sorry if this is complicated, I was trying to conservative with system resources by using this listener program. All code is in PERL btw. One problem I have is I cannot test this without nuking some large number of customers and my management seems to frown on production outages to test event notification. Go figure.