RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Correlation

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Ruleset Correlation
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:33:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:02:28 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Stephen I use postemsg because I don't own TEC and that's what the TEC integration person chose to use. Doesn't really matter too much to me. We have LOTS of custom traps and supposedly that was a better choice. Can't comment as I am not really TEC savvy.

As far as the timing issue goes... I Had observed problem with single threading my listener calls, but after research I figured out how to code the PERL script (listener) to handle up to N number of sockets (n currently equals 100) The events do occur almost simultaneously, but the listener reflects receiving 34, and also reflects generating the 34 up traps. So if it is a timing issue, it doesn't show up through my logging. The PERL script does check for the return code from postemsg, but since the notification script was only called 12 times, and all 12 were successful that doesn't really narrow it down very much.

I am just still thinking that maybe there is a problem trying to have 34 correlated up/down events simultaneously. Is there a correlation "queue" for each ruleset or one global "queue" ? Is there a way to dump/display whats in that queue?