Re: [nv-l] web server log files

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] web server log files
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:43:26 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:53:25 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You get one of those daily.

I have not tried this, but I see in /usr/OV/www/conf/jettly.xml this clause:
 <Set name="LogSink">
    <New class="org.mortbay.util.WriterLogSink">
      <Arg><SystemProperty name="jetty.log" default="./logs"/>/yyyy_mm_dd.request.log</Arg>
      <Set name="RetainDays">10</Set>
      <Set name="Append">true</Set>
    </New>
  </Set>

My systems keep 10 days of those files, so that might be it.

Another big waster of space is the zip files under /usr/OV/www/webapps/netview/warf. You get another one every time you use the java security console, and they don't age off as far as I can tell. I run an age-off script nightly and weekly to handle various logs, since I generally add a lot of logs myself. I handle those with that.

A bunch of other things are controlled in the /usr/OV/conf/*.properties files. They have records in them like this:
grep appender *.properties
maputil-log4j.properties:log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
maputil-log4j.properties:log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=1
maputil-log4j.properties:log4j.appender.R.File=/usr/OV/log/maputil.log

Detroit

"Qureshi, Fawad" <Fawad.Qureshi@ssa.gov>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/21/2004 02:31 PM
Please respond to

"'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] web server log files

NV 7.1.3 / AIX 5.1

My Netview server directory /usr/OV/www/logs has log files that are huge in size and thus end up making /usr/OV run out of space causing all sorts of problems. An example is "83180015 Jun 15 23:59 2004_06_15.request.log", seems like since we started using the web consoles all the requests are being logged in. I would like to log errors/exceptions only in order to control the file sizes and thus filesystem space. Anyone knows where I can specify a logging level for the web server? Thanks.

Fawad