RE: [nv-l] Point to Point link color status change

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Point to Point link color status change
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:32:40 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:43:46 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

It may help if you are really clear about how serial networks are represented.

For a serial connection, networks and segments are drawn as straight lines instead of a bubbles.
If there are multiple serial connections between the routers, the first click is into the metaconnection submap.
If you right-mouse the line, it says 'Symbol: xx.xx.xx' where xx.xx.xx is the network address.
(Aside:  I believe these used to say 'Network:', but now all symbols seem to be labeled this way.)
When you double-click on the line, the network submap is shown.
In the network submap, you will see both end devices connected by a straight line, and that line is the segment symbol. If yo uright-mouse that line, it says 'Symbol: Segment1'
When you double-click on that line, the segment submap is shown.
In the segment submap, you will see both end devices connected by a black circle. That circle is normal for serial segments.
The lines connecting those devices to that circle represent the serial interfaces.
Those are the ones with status.

Remember that status of a device shown in a segment or network is for that segment or network only.

You should expect status propogation of these interfaces to behave the same as it does for non-serial networks and segments. If it is not, then you should pursue it with Support. The color of these things is controlled by /usr/OV/app-defaults/OVw by these records:

OVw*unknownStatusLineColor:             SkyBlue
OVw*downStatusLineColor:                red
OVw*marginalStatusLineColor:            yellow
OVw*upStatusLineColor:                  black
OVw*unmanagedStatusLineColor:           wheat
OVw*acknowledgedStatusLineColor:        LimeGreen
OVw*user1StatusLineColor:               black
OVw*user2StatusLineColor:               black

I would expect the top level line to be yellow (marginal) if one of the contributors is red, provided you are using the default propgation scheme. There are other propogation schemes, and perhaps yours have been changed. If you want it to be red rather than yellow, you do have the option of 'Propogate Most Critical', but this option applies across the board. The propogation scheme is configured under 'File..Describe Map'.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

Peter.Ingleson@atradius.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

07/13/2004 10:53 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
RE: [nv-l] Point to Point link color status change

Paul,

If I double click on the link I get a sub map showing two routers, both red
with a red link between them. If I then double click on the red link again I
get a symbol representing a ring with two red routers attached to the ring.

The two paths to the routers are actually diverse from the IP level; one
goes via the E3 the other via an Ethernet connection into another router.

If my ascii art works I have the following

--FE--RTR--E3--RTR--FE

which in turns represents one side of a square. I would like the E3 link to
appear red at the top most IP map.

Checking the interface submap shows the interface type as serial, I think
ring is the default network symbol.

Reagrds
Peter