Re: [nv-l] SNMP Trap

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP Trap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 06:25:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:44:47 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Well, possibly. If those Cisco devices are configured to send traps in SNMP V2 format, you will never see them in the current NetView for Windows. It cannot receive SNMP V2 traps. Only NetView for UNIX can at this time. Most Cisco devices are configurable with regard to this so perhaps that is the solution to your problem. Not being a Cisco guy, however, I cannot tell you how to check on that, so perhaps someone else can.

The only good way I know to tell whether anything is even being sent to your Windows box is to use a sniffer tool. You can download a good one for free from Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com) and just have it filter on port 162 and udp. If those devices are sending you anything, the contents will show up in the Ethereal output.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for ss tech <netviewteam@yahoo.com>ss tech <netviewteam@yahoo.com>

          ss tech <netviewteam@yahoo.com>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          07/13/04 11:24 PM
          Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

cc

Subject

[nv-l] SNMP Trap

Hi All,
I am a new user to Netview.I have Netview 7.1.4 and Switch Analyser 1.2.1 installed in Win2K
I have Cisco 2950 & Cisco 3550 switches which are configured to send the trap to Netview,but I am not getting any events of the respective switches in the Netview event console nor in Trapd.log.
Is it a problem due to SNMP version mismatch ?

My switches are connected in such a way that even one port of the swich goes down,my node will not get down as it is connected to anather switch through which it will get the path to work.My problem is, I want Netview/SA should inform me that when X port goes down I should get the event, though my node is still up.

Can anybody suggest me the solution of my problem .

Thanks in Advance
Peter

Do you Yahoo!?

GIF image