Re: [nv-l] Enhancement request on NV TUG site

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Enhancement request on NV TUG site
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:19:00 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 02:29:29 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I believe that HP Openview NNM does it that way - uses sysName of no other resolution is available. I agree with Jane that is is dangerous because, while DNS entries are often badly managed, sysnames are generally much worse.

It does help with the whole issue of 'what address was it discovered by'. The approach most people take, with routers, especially, is to resolve the loopback in DNS and try to make the sysname match that, then force discovery by the loopback.

Netview will store the sysName in the object database for routers, but only routers. It does this because it uses it in hsrp management. Lately I have been added a field for sysname on all devices, and when I get a Node Added event, run a little script to populate that field; that same script can be called from the custom reports menu where it is used like a customer-extention of the demand poll. Once you get started on that road you can usually think of all sorts of things you want to retrieve and store.

Anyway, once that data is in the object database, you can pull a report (nvUtil) that lists selection names and sysnames. It is nice to know where the garbage is so you can go clean it up.

Detroit

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

09/09/2004 10:45 AM
Please respond to

Dimitris Leventidis <dil@altec.gr>
cc
NetView mailing list <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject
[nv-l] Enhancement request on NV TUG site

Hi Dimitris,
Thanks for your append to the NetView Tivoli User Group website re your
enhancement request for the NetView object Selection Name to be
populatetd by the snmpSysName from a device.

As I said previously, I do not believe there is any committment from IBM
to action anything on the TUG  site (though if anyone knows different,
we would love to hear that......).  I did receive a verbal assurance
when we set up the site that NetView development would at least look at
what is posted.

Re your request, I think you will probably find a similar discussion in
the 1 - 2 years ago timeframe.  My feeling is that it is a bit dangerous
for NetView to set his Selection Name field based on what an agent tells
him as you (as the NetView administrator) probably have no control over
how your networking kit is setup, whereas you, hopefully, have some
control over the DNS that NetView uses.  I worked with a client who
rolled out standard configs to all their boxes and just "changed the
necessary bits" - they ended up with lots of boxes all with the same
snmpSysName, which would obviously have caused havoc for NetView.

I am copying this debate to the nv-l mail list for further
input........... anyone else??

Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565