RE: [nv-l] question about modifying objects in netview 7.1.3

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] question about modifying objects in netview 7.1.3
From: "Freeman, Michael" <mfreeman@netcogov.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:04:26 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:21:21 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Well we have netmon polling it, but we are relying on information from the trapd.log to use for SLA data. Like if we get a Node Down event or Node Up event, we put that into an Oracle database. We are trying to verify that the Node is really down, in a lot of cases in our network a Node will go down, and then an operator will do a demand poll or ping it, and then it will start responding again. So we have a script that tails the trapd.log file looking for Node Downs and if it receives one, it does a test trying to open a tcp connection a few times to verify that its really down, if it is, it gets inserted into the database. We also want to change the status of that object back to Node Up before netmon gets a chance to do it. Now of course there are other ways to do this verification by having a ruleset that has an inline function that does this but we had some problems with that..

So what do you think I should do? Use the API and OVwSetStatusOnObject to change the status, or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Freeman