Re: [nv-l] Format error in trapd.log

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Format error in trapd.log
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:40:41 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:50:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I'm not quite certain what question you are asking, since you provided so little information about this trap, and about what your entry in trapd.conf actually looks like.

But the message FMT ERROR: accessing element #3, only 1 available. means that in the trap log message in trapd.conf (which you can check with xnmtrap) it says to use $3, the third variable, when you format the message.  The problem is, however, that the trap only contains two varbinds, so there is no third variable to format.

As for a source character of " X", NetView does not use nor provide that, as you can tell by reading the man page for trapd.conf.  However, you can define any source character you like in trapd.conf and that's what trapd will use when he formats the trap.  So if you see an "X", it is because whomever updated trapd.conf for this trap put it there.

And finally, there is absolutely no need for you to define a catch-all trap with a message like "? FMT ". trapd automatically provides that.  If he gets a trap which is not defined, then he will issue a message to the log and the event windows which says "trap received with no known fmt" and proceed to list everything he knows about it,  the enterprise id, the generic and specific ids, and all varbinds associated with it.  By adding your own definition for unformatted traps, you circumvent that, and make it harder for yourself to see what's going on when an unformatted trap arrives.

My advice is to get rid of this entry because it is already confusing you.  If you think you must keep it, then change the log message to say "$*"  rather than "$1" "$2" and so on. "$*" will format all the variables, if there are any, and prevent the format error message.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Gerardo Ruiz Garcia" <gerardo_ruiz@inicia.es>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

09/28/2004 08:23 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Format error in trapd.log

In our network enviorment we are going to test traps received from new devices
Cisco MDS.

We have Netview 7.1.1 AIX 4.3.3 ML-10

Trapd.conf does not included new traps as we don´t know enterprise that
send them, so we have in trapd.log the message "? FMT ".

The question is that we receive the next line from one of these devices:
........................  X FMT ERROR: accessing element #3, only 1 available.

What does mean source X.

Empieza el curso con buen pie. Todo lo que necesitas en Tiscali Formación.

http://www.tiscali.es/formacion
Tiscali duplicará la velocidad de todos sus ADSL a partir del 29 de septiembre
sin coste adicional para el cliente.