Re: [nv-l] Node IP Adddress change

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Node IP Adddress change
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:15:34 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:29:37 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

While you can change hostnames and have netmon figure that out automatically if the IP address is the same, I don't think the reverse is true.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that what you will wind up with is two distinct networks, one red (the old one) and one green (the new one).  The reason is that all of netmon's polling is done by IP address, which it retrieves from the current database.   When that IP address doesn't respond, it will go red (critical). After 7 days, if you haven't altered the node delete interval, it will be deleted.  Or you can manually delete them before then if you prefer.

Meanwhile new, node discovery will be proceeding at the same time, assuming you have that turned on.  If NetView's own IP address changes, then you must run /usr/OV/service/reset_ci afterwards to fix that.  Then new node discovery will proceed as it always does with the seed file and the local ARP cache.  If you are using a seed file and you have hostnames in there, then they will be checked against the existing database, and since they will already be there, nothing will happen except polling, which will turn them red.  If you have new IP addresses in there, then they will be discovered and new objects created with whatever hostnames are returned by your name resolution system (DNS, /etc/hosts).

You can determine whether I am correct or not by running a test yourself with some existing box now, if you like.  It doesn't have to have one of your new range IP address.  Just give it a new IP address, but don't change the hostname, and override DNS (or change it too if you like) with /etc/hosts.   Put the hostname in the seed file and restart netmon and see what happens.

 The question of how best to handle the global change can only be answered by someone who understands your network, your NetView customizations, and your timetable for the change.  If everything is going to happen quickly, say overnight or in a day or two, then you might just want to clear the databases and start afresh once DNS is fixed.  If you have location containers defined in location.conf, they will have to be changed or new ones created.   If the timetable is longer, so that you will have to monitor both old and new networks, then you'll be making changes in NetView slowly.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

09/27/2004 11:53 AM
Please respond to

netview Tivoli <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] Node IP Adddress change

Hi folks,
NV7.1.3 SP2, SOLARIS

The Network team is migrating to a new IP class, that means all managed node IP addreses are going to be change, but their hostnames will remain the same.

Q1: ANy ideas on how I can best handle this?
Q2: Does Netview changes the IP address of a managed Node automatically if the hostname remains the same?

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"