Re: [nv-l] 7.1.4 Installation Directories

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] 7.1.4 Installation Directories
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:33:22 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:34:04 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Are you having some sort of problem with this?

I suspect that the answer is largely historical.  The links are added at install time to facilitate the install scripts -- basically to guarantee that the proper environment can be found even in bizarre circumstances.    Adding links in /usr/lib is a very common thing for UNIX products to do.  Putting them in /usr/bin is less so, but even the operating systems do it, as ls -l will show you.  So it's hardly a rare thing.

I don't believe that the links are really necessary after installation, and if you source /usr/OV/bin/NVenvironment  then you should be able to just remove them.  You can always add them back again if you want.   But NVenvironment is a relatively recent addition to NetView.  Putting the links into the /usr directories goes back to the first versions of the product.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Albert Wong <igcawong@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

10/25/2004 05:20 PM
Please respond to

nv-l <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] 7.1.4 Installation Directories

I would like to understand the significance of the
/usr/bin and /usr/lib directories in regards to a NV
7.1.4 install. Why does NV need to place files in the
/usr/bin directory when they already exist in
/usr/OV/bin and why does NV need to make links in
/usr/lib to /usr/OV/lib?

Regards,
Albert Wong