Re: [nv-l] Variable question

To: conosciani.m@adrtel.it, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com, nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Variable question
From: "Jon Austin" <austinj@email.chop.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:33:05 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:34:37 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Back in 2002, IBM/Tivoli addressed a major CSIRT with SNMP V1 and
automatic actions by filtering or altering almost all non-alpha-numeric
characters from traps varaible in automatic actions. By default, dashes
and dots are pre-pended with escape characters. All the rest are
substituted with an underscore.

There is an environment variable you can set through netnmrc.pre that
to alter behavior, but only to the point that you can have other
characters escaped. Regardless, you should expect to 'wraper' any
automatic actions into scripts that can be coded to error-check and
validate around the escaping.

Jon Austin
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

>>> conosciani.m@adrtel.it 03/21/05 9:26 AM >>>
Hi folks,

Running Linux 7.2 with Netview 7.1.4 fixpack 2:

I've configured trap to be send by mail using the Trapd--->command for
automatic action:

Echo "Node $2 Down" | mail -s "The Node $2 ..."  mymail

When I receive it the variable $2 is passed with some kind of special
character like

Node 172\.21\.12\.3 (rather than 172.21.12.3)...

What wrong with it ?

Cheers

Mauro