Re: [nv-l] Traps not formatting right!

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Traps not formatting right!
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:10:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:11:10 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Larry,

I'd surmise that you are correct but  I don't have any better idea what
this message means than you do.  That's an issue for the sender.  There may
be comments in the MIB which will tell you some more, or else you will have
to consult the vendor, either in his manuals or through a support channel,
unless you can find another user who knows.  There is no standard for what
one puts in a trap.  The vendor, whose agent sends it, decides.

But you can make the message say whatever you want it to say using xnmtrap.
You don't have to display all the variables ($*) in the log message.
mib2trap does that because he doesn't know what else to do.  That's his
default.  But you can customize this trap to display just the text you want
, or a combination of variables and text, such as  "Disk space low in
partition $2 ".  That would make this trap msg be simply "Disk space low in
partition /dev/w0f"  when you see it again.   The addtrap scripts mib2trap
creates are just starting points.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Traps not formatting
             04/01/2005 01:55          right!
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

James,
I just made a copy of trapd.conf and added another
enterprise OID as NOKIA-SYS with OID as
1.3.6.1.4.1.94.1.21.1(without 0). Now when the traps
came , they are formatted right as below.

" systemTrapLowDiskSpace - NOKIA-SYS 6 4 4 args:  [1]
hrPartitionEntry.hrPartitionIndex.3.1 (Integer): 1
[2] hrPartitionEntry.hrPartitionLabel.3.1
(OctetString): /dev/wd0f  [3]
hrPartitionEntry.hrPartitionSize.3.1 (Integer): 396952
 [4]
host.hrDevice.hrFSTable.hrFSEntry.hrFSMountPoint.1
(OctetString): /  "

This trap's event name is systemtrapLowDisSpace. So
what am i supposed to understand from this trap
message. That there is low disk space on /dev/wdof? am
i right? Is there a way to trim this message more
meanfull? b'cos the message never said that there low
disk space.
Thanks again..
Larry