Re: [nv-l] Manually Loading events into a Dynamic Workspace

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Manually Loading events into a Dynamic Workspace
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:16:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:19:34 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

The short answer is "no".  Sorry.

Events are transient and ephemeral.  In Netview for UNIX, they are not
stored in a database,  just kept in memory, and even then only so long as a
current dynamic workspace requires them.  When you open a workspace, the
last one hundred events nvcorrd has seen will be passed through the ruleset
you are using, and those that pass through, will be displayed.  So unless,
just by chance, the last one hundred events include exactly those you had
displayed before you closed the workspace, they are now gone and cannot be
re-displayed.    Also, once you closed the original workspace, nvcorrd
stopped running your ruleset, and any Node Down Events you were holding the
cache to match with were purged.  Every time you re-open the workspace it
all starts anew.

NetView has another facility called "Events History" which will allow you
to see copies of recent events.  However, this facility does not use
rulesets.  So once you bring it up and do a "Query" to see only your Cisco
events you would have to construct a filter to include only those, and
Query again.    No correlation is available.

If what you really want is a persistent store of events, which you can run
correlation rules on, closing just what you want and altering the operator
display accordingly, then you would be advised to send your event to the
Tivoli Event Console, TEC.   The event handling capability there is greater
than anything NetView can do.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Meyos Yemveng
             <yemveng@yahoo.ca
             Sent by:
             owner-nv-l@lists.         netview Tivoli
             us.ibm.com                <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                                                                        cc

             04/08/05 12:49 PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l                                            Subject
                                       [nv-l] Manually Loading events into
                                       a Dynamic Workspace

HI Folks,
NV 7.1.3 FP3 SOLARIS No RFI enabled.

I have created a Ruleset for a Dynamic Workspace
called "CISCO_DOWNS" to display Cisco Devices Events
to:
1- When a Cisco Device  goes Down, the Workspace
Displays the "Node Down" Event

2- When the corresponding "Node UP" comes, the Node
Down Event disappear from the workspace.

3- I have created a smartset for all Cisco Devices
called: "CiscoDevices".

4- When I close the Netview Client and Restart it, all
previous events displayed on that "CISCO_DOWNS"
dynamic workspace disappear.

Q1:Is there a way(script, NV command, etc) that I can
populate a Dynamic Workspace upon NV Client startup
with:
 - Events coming from the database (if I need to save
events in NV DB)?
 - Events manually generated from the Node status
obtained from a smartset or any other NV component?
 - Events generated from any other source that I
forgot to mention?
So that my "CISCO_DOWNS" Dynamic Workspace displays
all
 Cisco Devices that are Down when I start the NV
Client.

Q2: Any suggestions?

Thank You,
Meyos