Re: [nv-l] Threshold Levels

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Threshold Levels
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 12:48:23 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 May 2005 17:48:53 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

So your question is why isn't this data being collected?  You should be
looking for that answer in the /usr/OV/log/snmpCol.trace file, which will
show you any errors snmpCollect encounters trying to parse your entries or
contact the nodes it  gathers from.  If there's not enough information  for
some failures you dynamically enable  tracing by issuing "snmpCollect -T"
and make it even more verbose with "snmpCollect  -V".

But  right from the start , your entry in snmpCol.conf does not appear to
me to be valid syntax.
 When I pasted your entry into my snmpCol.conf, xnmcollect wouldn't parse
it.
How did you create it?  By editing the file directly?  That's not
recommended  for new users.
You should be adding  or modifying entries using  xnmcollect.

I would make a copy of snmpCol.conf as a backup, then delete your entry
from it, and then use xnmcollect to add back something valid.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             usman.taokeer@s-i
             ii.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/04/2005 11:38          Re: [nv-l] Threshold Levels
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Paul,

Sure here is the required info: -

mibExpr.conf:

BitsIn \
"ifInOctets * 8" \
         .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.  8 *

snmpCol.conf:
MIB BitsIn .* BitsIn units EXPRESSION R lansrv
C KHI-GW-01:Serial0/0 0xffffffff 5 > 5.000000 <= 75.000000 % s 1001

Let me explain once again what i am trying to do. We have multiple serial
links on our core router (Cisco3745) to internet, we want to monitor
incoming and outgoing traffic on those links and set threshold if certain
levels are reached and pass traps and generate alerts based on that etc.
Will that going to help us out or is there any other way around? I tried
the SnmpCollector but it just doesn't show any data, it shows for others
etc. bandwidthutilhdx,avgBusy etc. But not the ones i am trying to
configure.

 Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
 Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
                                                    nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
 04-05-05 04:27 PM                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
           Please respond to                        Re: [nv-l] Threshold
         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com                      Levels

Usman,
This is exactly what snmpCollect is designed to do. You mention you want to
collect using an expression? Have you create that expression in the
mibExpr.conf
file? If so, it would help if you posted it. You might also want to copy
your snmpCol.conf
entry here so we can see that also. Not much we can do with the
information you
have given.

Paul