[nv-l] tcp service checking thorugh nvsniffer

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] tcp service checking thorugh nvsniffer
From: "Jorge Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:44:56 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:49:18 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Netview 7.1.3

Solaris 8

For a while now we have been using nvsniffer to check availability of http port (80) on some of our servers. Although this way of checking has been good enough for us, now we need to deep a little further and check not just the port, but also whether http pages load properly as well. I believe the main concern is to test the rendering of a .cfm page (marked up in ColdFusion)

How are Netview users out there doing this type of checking???

I was told that the bigbrother application has this capability, but I would like to stay within the Netview environment. I have not check nvsniffer potential in detail, but I hope something can be done with it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jorge A Jiles

Network Analyst

Computing & Network Services