Re: [nv-l] SQL Query of SNMP Collected Data (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets) fro

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SQL Query of SNMP Collected Data (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets) from a Database for a specific ifIndex
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:10:14 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 May 2005 03:10:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

My experience with this function is a little old, but I do know that the interface index number is how the data is collected, and how it is stored both in the flat files (with the index number appended to the filename), and in the relational database. Look at the files in /usr/OV/databases/snmpCollect if you are using flat files.

It is not unusual for devices to have non-sequential index numbers on their interfaces. Check one with monitor..Network configuration..Interfaces. For instance, an Intel server might have an index 1 and an index 300 and that's all. Cisco routers are notorious for shuffling their index numbers when there is a configuration change. Recent versions of their IOS offer a configuration option to preserve index numbers across configs and ipls.

So the high numbers alone should not worry you. If they are not current, however, you might want to delete old collections that reference them.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/10/2005 04:42 PM
Please respond to

netview Tivoli <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[nv-l] SQL Query of SNMP Collected Data (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets) from a Database for a specific ifIndex

Hi Folks,
NV 7.1.3 FP3 SOLARIS

I have setup SNMP Data collections
(ifInOctets/ifOutOctets) for some switches in order to
determine inactive ports during a specific period.
The Data collected are stored in the Database (colData
Table) by running the /usr/OV/bin/nvColToSQL command.

Looking at colData table schema in the RDBMS, there is
a column called instance; ans when performing an SQL
(Select * from colData) query, I get the column
"instance" with values over 300 (I do not have a Node
with more than 300 interface, therefore that should
not be the ifIndex value ...)

When I run the Command /usr/OV/bin/nvHostSumCol -O
/snmpColData.log, I get another column called instance
wich is more representative of the ifIndex value for
each Interface for a given Node.

Q1: How do I get the IfIndex Values for snmpCollect
data stored in a RDBMS using an SQL Select statement
for a specific Node?

Q2: Anybody knows what is the SQL query performed by
the binary /usr/OV/bin/nvHostSumCol?

Q3: Any Other Suggestion?

Thank You,
Meyos