Re: [nv-l] MIB data collection questions

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MIB data collection questions
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:23:59 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 May 2005 02:24:37 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You did not say what platform you are running on. I can only really address Unix (AIX). As for scalability, I think the capacity limitation is more on the devices being polled than on the Netview server. How busy are they, and how much data can they spit out given the timeouts and retries you specify. A few mib variables every 5 minutes can be a lot what with today's devices having hundreds of interfaces. Many of the values you are likely to want to poll are mib expressions like bandwidth utilization, involving several mib variables, so that's another multiplier.

Netview does a nice job of combining the requests into bundles, and can limit the size of the request, making multiple trips if necessary. This makes it relatively efficient.

If you are talking hundreds of devices with hundreds of interfaces each and want to poll in the 5 minute range, I would not feel positive. In the 15 minute range, I'd say maybe, if the box is big enough for everything else going on. For thousands of devices and only a couple of mib values every 15 minutes, that's probably ok too.

I have seldom seen the snmpCollect daemon hogging the cpu unless something silly was configured.

I will say, however, that I am finding it less usable these days for data collection on high-speed interfaces. The Counter32 datatypes it supports cannot handle the rollovers. In fact, at some sites the Counter64 datatypes would not help. I see the rmon mib now has tables for reporting counter rollovers, so you can monitor those instead of the actual counts. Amazing.

So, let's hear it, everyone. What are you collecting, on how many interfaces, how often, on what hardware, and what's the bottleneck?

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

justin_eagleson@bankone.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/19/2005 10:06 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] MIB data collection questions

Does anyone care to share their experiences (good or bad) using Netview to
poll SNMP nodes for MIB data collection? Specifically, Netview 7.1.4, and
storing the MIB data in a flat file. How scalable was it? How many nodes
at what interval? On what hardware was Netview running?

Any information is appreciated.

Regards,

Justin Eagleson
Systems and Service Management Tools
office: 614-213-9017
pager: 877-864-2056
cell: 614-226-1148

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.