Re: [nv-l] MIB data collection questions

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MIB data collection questions
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:03:17 +1000
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 May 2005 09:24:58 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
At 03:48 PM 20-05-05 -0400, justin_eagleson@bankone.com wrote:
In addition, I'm having an issue setting up the MIB data collection that
I'm hoping someone has a quick answer to. I've followed the steps in the
Admin Guide, but can't seem to get this to work.

This is Netview 7.1.4 on AIX 4.3.3:

So far I've done the following:

I have a Solaris server running snmpd.
I seeded it and verified it was added to the map
I can do a test SNMP GET on it fine.
I loaded a MIB, host-resources-mib.mib, to collect against.
I configured Collection on a basic MIB value, sysUpTime, set it to
Collect, 5m freq, All instances, Store without Thresholds.
I right-clicked and selected "Manage" on the server object

When I look at snmpCol.trace, the data collection never begins, instead it
says:  [....]

Justin,

This is not the reason for the failure in your data collection, but it may be helpful to point out that there is a possible source of confusion with MIB objects here.

You say above you loaded the host-resources-mib and then started collection on sysUpTime. sysUpTime is in the system group in MIB-II and you can find it in the MIB tree in the GUI without loading the host-resources-mib. The Host Resources MIB has an object hrSystemUpTime, which is different from the object you are referring to, sysUpTime.

Almost any SNMP agent implements sysUptime. Not so with hrSystemUpTime. You need the agent to implement the Host Resources MIB to get hrSystemUpTime.

If you are collecting on .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3, you are correctly configured for sysUpTime, but it is not the object in the Host Resources MIB.

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software
jfernand@kardinia.com
www.kardinia.com