Re: [nv-l] MIB data collection questions

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MIB data collection questions
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:15:51 +1000
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 May 2005 09:25:21 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
At 03:52 PM 20-05-05 -0400, justin_eagleson@bankone.com wrote:
Sorry left a critical piece of info out - I can also do a "test" SNMP
collection against the sysUpTime value, and it tests fine and I get the
value, and it says it will collect for "0 instances"... which I find
odd...

does that mean it will never collect even though I have it set to "ALL"
instances in the config? Not sure what I'm missing here...

Thanks,

Justin Eagleson
Systems and Service Management Tools
office: 614-213-9017
pager: 877-864-2056
cell: 614-226-1148

 What is the exact message you are getting?

It should be:

"Instances which will be collected
        0
All instances will be collected"

This may be rather confusing but it is acknowledging that you have set it up to collect All instances, there is only one instance of sysUpTime, instance numbering for it starts at 0, hence the one and only instance that will be collected is instance 0.

If the last line does not say "All" then the data collector has a problem.

A suggestion:

You are collecting sysUpTime, which is implemented by most agents. You don't need Host Resources MIB support (See my previous reply).The Solaris agent can be idiosyncratic. If this is the first collection you are configuring, I would try it with one of your routers first.

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software
jfernand@kardinia.com
www.kardinia.com