Re: [nv-l] MIB Object Selection and MIB loading

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MIB Object Selection and MIB loading
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:07:03 +1000
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:17:01 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Justin,

You are loading an SNMP v2 MIB. In the header it will tell you the other MIBs from which it IMPORTS definitions. So they have to be loaded before the loader can resolve the definitions in this MIB. And this is a recursive procedure.

If you are loading the RFC 2790 version of the Host Resources MIB, it will tell you in the header that it IMPORTS the following 4 MIBS:

SNMPv2-SMI
SNMPv2-TC
SNMPv2-CONF
IF-MIB

For a start, it imports the definition of mib-2 from SNMPv2-SMI. The top of the Host Resources MIB is a node called "host" which is anchored at 25 below mib-2. Without that it cannot resolve any symbols in the Host Resources MIB and you will get a large number of nodes left out.

I would unload this MIB and then load the imported ones first in order, then retry it. Your list of left out nodes should vanish.

You specifically want to load a v2 version of this MIB, right?

There is a v1 version of it, shipped with NetView. It's in the snmp_mibs directory as rfc1514-HOST, it does not requires these imports, and xnmloadmib and xnmbrowser will handle it with no problem.