Re: [nv-l] servmon - Slot with service

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] servmon - Slot with service
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:52:47 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:53:25 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Yes. I'd suggest submitting an enhancement request. Any event that Netview generates that can be correlated at the TEC should have the correlatable fields in separate slots. They did put the ip address of the down interface in a separate slot for this reason. The new ones for services should get the same treatment.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

06/03/2005 06:26 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] servmon - Slot with service

Hi Martina,
As far as I know, you can only map complete TRAP variables to TEC
slots.  I can think of 2 approaches:
1) Run an automated action for this TRAP which parses out the second
token of the 3rd variable and generates a new TEC event using
wpostemsg.  Deconfigure sending the original TRAP to TEC.  You obviously
need to define your new TEC event with an extra attribute for the dead
service name - I would perhaps put it at the end of netview.baroc.

2) Run an automated action for this TRAP which again parses out the
second token of the 3rd variable and generates a new TRAP to your
NetView with the relevant information that you really want in it.  Once
tested, customise your original service TRAP to be LOGONLY and not to be
forwarded to TEC and customise your new TRAP to forward to TEC, mapping
the variables as you want them. Same comment applies re modifying
netview.baroc.

I guess the 2nd solution is a more architecturally clean solution but
probably takes more processing.

Any other ideas??

Cheers,
Jane
Martina Haseneder wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> we startet do control Ports/services with servmon.
>
> Forwarded Events to TEC are the regular IBM_SUP_EV and IBM_SDWN_EV
> with the default Slots
>     nv_var1    14
>     nv_var2    un030e00.serv.factory.de
>     nv_var3    Service sshd Critical
>     nv_var4    219065 219063 sshd 2 4
>     nv_var5    openview
>
> Now my TEC-Admins would like to have the watched service in a
> "seperate Slot".
> How could I manage that?
>
> You find the needed string in nv_var3 and nv_var4. (I have no idea
> what the numbers in nv_var4 are for).
> Could I isolate it in trapd.conf?
>
> Thank you for all response
>
> Martina