Re: [nv-l] Cannot load a mib

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Cannot load a mib
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:53:06 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:53:48 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Well, no one can tell without looking at the MIB, and trying it themselves,
so my advice would be to contact Support.  We make every effort we can to
avoid this sort of thing.  But if all you want to do is just get past the
problem, you might also try downloading another copy, and if you get it via
an internet  browser on a Windows machine, be sure to ftp it in ASCII mode
to your UNIX box.   You might also edit it when you get it to UNIX and add
a blank line at the end to make certain that there is a good carriage
control/ line feed and EOF marker.   The MIB loader(s) all scan the MIBs
one byte at a time in order to determine what they've got, and if the lines
are not properly terminated, it might overflow the buffers, causing a
segmentation fault.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Ernie
             Dusett/Rochester/
             IBM@IBMUS                                                  To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] Cannot load a mib
             06/29/2005 07:58
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

I am trying to load a Cisco mib (cisco-entity-fru-control-mib.v1smi.my) and
after a minute or 2, the xnmloadmib GUI abends, I receive error message "
Segmentation fault(coredump)" and a core file is created (unreadable).  I
have unloaded and reloaded other mibs, so I know it can be done.  Is this
just a bad mib? Or do I have another issue?

Thanks,
Ernie Dusett
IBM Global Services - Network Management Services
Internet: edusett@us.ibm.com