Re: [nv-l] trapd.conf user entries

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapd.conf user entries
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:56:44 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:57:28 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
ftp the old trapd.conf to the new box and run /usr/OV/bin/nvaddtrapdconf.
This will add any new entries in the old file to the new  trapd.conf
But it will not change any existing entries in the new file to match the
old ones, so if you have some alternative customizations on the same traps,
you have two choices.  You can remove the ones from the "new" file before
you run nvaddtrapdconf or you can just update them yourself afterward, with
xnmtrap or by some other editor.  Be sure to keep some temporary backups as
you go.
I would do this while trapd is running.  You can have trapd  reload
trapd.conf  by issuing
      event -e FMTCHG
If there are any syntactical problems with your newly-edited file, you will
see a message in the trapd.log indicating what line the problem is on, and
trapd will continue to use the old trapd.conf he has in memory.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Mario Behring
             <mariobehring@yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  NetView List
             owner-nv-l@lists.         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/12/2005 04:54          [nv-l] trapd.conf user entries
             PM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hi list,

I am performing a NV server consolidation, where three NV servers became
one, in a much more powerful machine running on AIX 5.2. So far the
discovery part is ok and I was able to configure both seedfile and
location.conf so that I have now an accurate view of the environment,
divided by location.

However, one of these old NV severs had a lot of user configured traps at
trapd.conf file, for mainframe monitoring. I can do it all again at the
new one but that should be a lot of work...is there any way that I can
import these entries or just sue the trapd.conf file from this server ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Mario