Re: [nv-l] Serial Number switch

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Serial Number switch
From: John M Gatrell <John.Gatrell@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:18:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:19:26 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

This is not easy.  Even if it's just Cisco switches, some have chassis serial numbers which are held
in a different place in the MIB tree to the module numbers.

a).  If you are running CiscoWorks, then it will know the serial numbers.
b).  If there are'nt too many, just telnet to each one and try 'sh version'.
c).  If all the passwords are the same, automate with the unix 'expect' package
d). Use snmpget

What I would do myself is to do an snmpwalk of one device of each type, and find which mib variable holds the number.
Then create a smartset for each type.
Then list the smartset to a file with something like 'nvUtil l SwitchType1 >file1'
Then write a script to do an snmpget on each line of the file

John Gatrell