Re: [nv-l] netmon not responding

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] netmon not responding
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:14:25 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:14:56 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Could you be more specific about what exactly you did?  And what
environment you have?

If by renaming the databases, you mean this item in the readme:
New database templates for the Tivoli NetView for Windows program that uses
Access 2000 or later

The fix for PJ30038 requires that the user stop recording data into the
previous mdb files in the \usr\ov\databases\odbc directory and create new
database files using the empty templates that are provided. To do this
conversion, perform the following steps:
   1. Stop all Tivoli NetView daemons (using serversetup)
   2. Enter the following commands:
         1. rename [Drive:] \usr\ov\databases\odbc\tess_db.mdb
            \usr\ov\databases\odbc\old.tess_db.mdb
         2. copy [Drive:] \usr\ov\databases\odbc\tess_db.mdb_empty
            \usr\ov\databases\odbc\tess_db.mdb
         3. rename [Drive:] \usr\ov\databases\odbc\snmpcollect_db.mdb
            \usr\ov\databases\odbc\old.snmpcollect_db.mdb
         4. copy [Drive:] \usr\ov\databases\odbc\snmpcollect_db.mdb_empty
            \usr\ov\databases\odbc\snmpcollect_db.mdb
         5. rename [Drive:] \usr\ov\databases\odbc\topo2sql_db.mdb
            \usr\ov\databases\odbc\old.topo2sql_db.mdb
         6. copy [Drive:] \usr\ov\databases\odbc\topo2sql_db.mdb_empty
            \usr\ov\databases\odbc\topo2sql_db.mdb
   3. Restart the Tivoli NetView daemons (using serversetup).

You can keep old database files for analysis using another tool, such as MS
Access, or you can delete them. However, after the above conversion is
done, the Tivoli NetView program ignores the old data.

==============================

Steps 1 - 4 have nothing to do with netmon, and the latter ones, 5-6,
would only be affect it if you were trying to run live from a relational
database, since netmon does not write to topo2sql_db.mdb directly.    These
steps have no affect my system here so what's different about yours?  Or
did you rename more than what was listed in those 6 steps?

In any case, doing this is entirely optional.   Your system will continue
run fine without doing any of this.  PJ30038 fixes a problem with the event
subsystem (tess) in which the Event Browser takes and error and closes when
run with a customer filter for some length of time.  So you could avoid
that by doing just steps 1 and 2.  The other odbc sources are only there
for consistency.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "praveen kumar"
             <praveenkumar.nai
             r@ustri.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] netmon not responding
             10/19/2005 10:15
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

  Hi all,

I am running  Netview 7.1.4 on windows 2003  now with fix pack 3
After fix pack installation I renamed the database as recommended in the
fix pack readme here started my problem after this my netmon stopped
responding when I demand poll any device the error is netmon not responding
ovstatus shows running .
I had experience the  problem before, now when I give the old database back
the netmon is back on track .

Any one  please help me to sort this out .

True regards,
Praveen