Re: [nv-l] Howto list only managed nodes ???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Howto list only managed nodes ???
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:53:27 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:53:53 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I agree with Francois.  smartsets are the answer.  nvUtil is called
smartsetutil on Windows but otherwise it has the same syntax.   And
nvdbformat is there too.  But I'm not certain that "automation", whatever
that means, is the way you should do this.

If you group your nodes by common characteristics into smartsets, then
smartsetutil can list them for input into nvmaputil.  But you can also just
view the smartset, draw a box around the contents with the ctrl key and the
mouse to select as many or as few nodes as you like, and unmanage the bunch
all at once with a couple of clicks to the menu.   And the smartset view
would enable you to see, at any given time, whether there were any new
nodes added that were still managed, but met your unmanage criteria.

NetView for Windows was designed to be a GUI product.  I'd take advantage
of the GUI.  That's what it's for.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Francois Le Hir
             <flehir@ca.ibm.co
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Howto list only managed
             11/03/2005 10:39          nodes ???
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

You could create a smartset that contain all the managed node (isNode=TRUE
and IP Status != unmanaged). You can then use nvUtil to get the list of
node contained in the smartset from a script.
You can also use nvdbformat to export a list of all the nodes with specific
parameters. I use Netview on Unix so I am not sure if nvUtil or nvdbformat
are available with the windows version. As the windows version is using a
standard database, you could probably make direct queries in the database
to get the list of node.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

             Michael D Schleif
             <mds@helices.org>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l mailing list
             us.ibm.com                <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                                                                        cc

             11/03/2005 10:17                                      Subject
             AM                        [nv-l] Howto list only managed
                                       nodes ???

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Netview/Window, v7.1.4, FP3

I am trying to automate un-managing discrete sets of nodes after
discovery finds them.  nvmaputil facilitates this; but, first, I need to
identify and list appropriate nodes.

I have not found necessary information from ovmapdump nor ovtopodump
output.

Ideally, we will periodically dump a list of managed node, parse that
list for nodes to be un-managed, and un-manage them.  It is not
desirable to try to un-manage nodes that are already un-managed ;<

What am I missing?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
877.596.8237
-
-
(See attached file: signature.asc)(See attached file: signature.asc)