Fw: [nv-l] Howto list only managed nodes ???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Fw: [nv-l] Howto list only managed nodes ???
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:32:23 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:33:04 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
ok I replied too fast ...

file is /usr/OV/fields/C/ip_fields (on Unix but it should have similar
values for windows)

Field "IP Status" {
        Type    Enumeration;
        Flags   locate;
        Enumeration     "Unset",
                        "Unknown",
                        "Normal",
                        "Marginal",
                        "Critical",
                        "Unmanaged",
                        "Acknowledged",
                        "User1",
                        "User2",
                        "Unreachable" ;
}

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145
----- Forwarded by Francois Le Hir/Quebec/IBM on 11/03/2005 04:30 PM -----

             Francois Le
             Hir/Quebec/IBM
             11/03/2005 04:27          nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] Howto list only managed
                                       nodes ???(Document link: Francois
                                       Le Hir)

1)
your "nvmaputil.bat --mapname test --unmanage-node" command should work and
unmanage the node .... IF the map "test" is presently opened in read write
mode.

2)
in /usr/OV/fields/C/ovw_fields I see:

Field "Service Status" {
    Type      Enumeration;
    Flags     locate;
    Enumeration  "Unset",
                 "Unknown",
                 "Normal",
                 "Marginal",
                 "Critical",
                 "Unmanaged";
}

3)
If you can have a list that everything you want to see managed you can
easily automate to unmanage anything not in the list (I myself use a
relational database and depending on a sla value, manage and unmanage
objects in the map)

One of the characteristics of PCs is that they usually do not support snmp
so you can easily script for everything that doesn't respond to snmp to be
unmanaged. This can also be used in the seed file to limit the discovery to
only the snmp capable objects even if it is not efficient (the node need to
be discovered first for netview to detect if it doesn't respond to snmp).
The best is to limit the discovery by using  ranges of ips (maybe all the
devices you want to monitor are all in the first 10 addresses of your
subnets ? or the DHCP ranges defined for the PCs are the same for every
subnet ?) All this is done in the seed file.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

             Michael D Schleif
             <mds@helices.org>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/03/2005 03:02          Re: [nv-l] Howto list only managed
             PM                        nodes ???

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

* Paul Stroud <nvladmin@gmail.com> [2005:11:03:14:09:50-0500] scribed:
> Are the nodes actually unmanaged or only the interfaces?
> It does not sound to me like the actual device is unmanaged.
> You can run "ovobjprint -s <hostname>" to see the IP Status
> of the device...

OK, what am I missing?

C:\>nvmaputil.bat --mapname test --unmanage-node
p47w7u00.wau.hcscint.net

C:\>ovobjprint -s p47w7u00.wau.hcscint.net
                OBJECTID                SELECTION NAME

OBJECT: 2370

        FIELD ID        FIELD NAME                      FIELD VALUE
        10              Selection Name
"p47w7u00.wau.hcscint.net"
        11              IP Hostname
"p47w7u00.wau.hcscint.net"
        14              OVW Maps Exists                 1
        15              OVW Maps Managed                1
        75              IP Status                       Normal(2)
        78              isIPRouter                      FALSE
        101             IP Name
"p47w7u00.wau.hcscint.net"
        105             vendor                          Unset(0)
        117             isNode                          TRUE
        119             isComputer                      TRUE
        120             isConnector                     FALSE
        122             isBridge                        FALSE
        123             isRouter                        FALSE
        124             isHub                           FALSE
        145             isDHCPClient                    FALSE
        146             hasBadOID                       FALSE
        147             hasInconsistentSubnetMask               FALSE
        149             isMLM                           FALSE
        151             isIP                            TRUE
        174             isSNMPSupported                 FALSE
        180             SNMPAgent                       Unset(0)
        186             SNMP ipAddress                  "10.129.49.100"
        219             TopM Interface Count            1
        225             TopM Interface List             "10.129.49.100 Up
10.129.49.100   255.255.252.0   0x000D6020D284  other               "
        248             XXMAP Protocol List             "IP"

How many contexts for un-managed node does NV have?  I assume that
`Normal(2)' above indicates that the node itself remains managed?  Where
is an exhaustive list of values that IP Status can have?

Here's the rub: My client has a new NV installation; and they have a
very large network.  Currently, we have 21,000 nodes; but, this weekend,
it will double.  There is no documentation about these networks; and
very little standardization.  Most of these nodes are PC's; and we have
no mandate to manage them.  I have not yet found seed file entries to
avoid these PC's; so I need to automate un-managing them.

Yes, James makes interesting points about using the GUI; but, I
challenge any of you to select 10,000 nodes and un-manage them via GUI
;>

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,