Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not give good status?

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not give good status?
From: Maxime TRANNOY <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:53:56 +0100
Cc: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:56:41 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
HI francois,

With the command xnmsnmpconf -resolve <device selection name> I got the
wrong community that I set in netview which is wrong as I said in my first
mail.
The snmpwalk does not work. I received a time out. It's normal because the
community is wrong.

But the nmdemandpoll on this device never time out and the interface is
still Up :

14:32:34 ***** Starting demand poll of node Device-name *****
14:32:34     Interface w.x.y.z (w.x.y.z) (currently up)
14:32:34   Current polling parameters
14:32:34     scheduled SNMP status check at 11/25/05 14:34:06
14:32:34     scheduled configuration check at 11/26/05 14:28:59
14:32:34       auto-adjusted polling interval is 900 seconds
14:32:34   Verify node name
14:32:34     node name verified to be device-name
14:32:34 ***** End of demand poll for node Device-name

And for me this nmdemandpol is not normal I should receive an SNMP  time
out.

On an other device which is configured with also with a wrong SNMP
community I have :

15:53:34 ***** Starting demand poll of node Device-name2 *****
15:53:34     Interface 192.168.126.1(192.168.126.1) (down since 11/25/05
14:23:18)
15:53:34   Current polling parameters
15:53:34     scheduled SNMP status check at 11/25/05 15:56:54
15:53:34     scheduled configuration check at 11/26/05 14:24:01
15:53:34     scheduled new node poll at 11/25/05 15:54:36
15:53:34       auto-adjusted polling interval is 900 seconds
15:53:34   Get system identifier
15:53:40     SNMP request timed out (192.168.126.1)
15:53:40   Verify node name
15:53:40     node name verified to be Device-name2
15:53:40 ***** End of demand poll for node Device-name2

And this is for me is the normal behaviour of an nmdemandpoll for an snmp
polled device with a wrong community.

Kind Regards/Cordialement/S pozdravem.

Maxime TRANNOY
IGS - Network Delivery Support Center
Tel : +33 (0) 492 114 767
mailto:mtrannoy@fr.ibm.com

             Francois Le Hir
             <flehir@ca.ibm.co
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] snmp polled does not
             25-11-2005 15:08          give good status?

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Maxime,

if you do:
xnmsnmpconf -res <device selection name>

What do you get ? Is it the correct community string ?

when you do:
 snmpwalk <device selection name> system

do you get an answer other than time out ?

If the answer is yes to both question it means that Netview has the correct
community string.
You can also do a quicktest on the device to check that netview is really
using snmp for polling and to see what answer it gets.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

             Maxime TRANNOY
             <MTRANNOY@fr.ibm.
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] snmp polled does not give
             11/25/2005 08:47          good status?
             AM

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Hello netview 7.1.4 FP2 on AIX.

I ask my netview to load devices and to snmp polled them.
I put 2 entry in the seed file
A.B.C.D
$A.B.C.D

The devices for the moment is configured with a wrong community but is
reachable by ping so could be discovered.

But netview instead of showing the device interface Down (because netview
could not reach the device with SNMP), Netview shows the device with an Up
interface status.
And what is most strange is that when I try to make an nmdemampoll it tells
correctly that Netview is polling this device with SNMP but I never
received as usual the snmp time out answer which arrives normally when you
nmdemapolled a device with a wrong community.

I try to stop and start netmon and the problem still.

Is there anyone who has an idear?