Re: [nv-l] ? about NV doing SNMP queries to PIX firewalls using "wrong"

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ? about NV doing SNMP queries to PIX firewalls using "wrong" interface
From: Francois Le Hir <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:48:04 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:48:40 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Look for the ">" flag in the netmon seed file. The ">" includes the
properties of "=" which has the effect of fixing the interface used for
snmp polling.

Salutations, / Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services
Phone: (514) 964 2145

             "Glen Warn"
             <Glen.Warn@pemcoc
             orp.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] ? about NV doing SNMP
             12/16/2005 05:23          queries to PIX firewalls using
             PM                        "wrong" interface

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

NV 7.1.4 on RH Linux AS 2.1 w/ FP3

Hi,

I am discovering many new networks @ a new datacenter.  I have a handful of
Cisco PIX 515 firewalls running 7.0.x code.  I'm able to config SNMP on the
FWs and discover them - but a few seconds after discovery they turn red.
When I run a demand poll, it fails.  I've trace the problem down to NV
trying to use a different interface (more hops away) on the firewall for
queries.  If I browse map and query with nearest interface (as configured
in PIX) it works great.  I've tried modifying the object properties/general
attributes/SNMP ipaddress and setting it to the interface IP I want it to
use, but still same results.  I only have 1 entry in /etc/hosts for this
device and though I use DNS there are no entries for this firewall.

Any ideas on how I can force Netview to use a specific IP or interface?  I
do want to monitor all the interfaces - but thru the "inside" interface so
I don't want to set the others to unmanaged.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Glen Warn
PEMCO Corporation Computer Services (PCCS)
glen.warn@pemcocorp.com
206-628-5770

PS.  This is a failover pair, so I have modified the netmon.seed file with
2 entries preceeded by > too.