[nv-l] Network management for wireless networks

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Network management for wireless networks
From: "Jorge Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 16:41:07 -0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:41:42 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

We are running a pilot project to deploy a centralize wireless solution for our campus. The pilot consists of only about 20 Cisco1200 access points. We are in need of Network Management solution to manage these access points. The NMS would have to pretty much behave like what we already have into place for our wired networks such as: alerts on snmp traps, thresholds settings, data capture, administration, in general be able to proactively check possible shortcomings on the infrastructure and help to troubleshoot problems. Once we fully deploy the centrally controlled wireless network, there could be any way from 1200 to 1500 access points, so whichever system we choose must be able to scale to these numbers.

I’m interested in knowing which wireless network management solutions is preferred one from the audience on this forum. Your input will help me to narrow down possible options.

Thanks a lot for any information.

Jorge A Jiles

Network Analyst

Academic Information and Communication Technologies (AICT)

(Formerly CNS)

Phone: (780) 492-9168

University of Alberta

Edmonton, Alberta

Canada

"This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and/or privileged information.  Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication.  If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, do not copy, distribute, or take action on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed."