Re: [nv-l] Netmon Not Responding

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netmon Not Responding
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:39:05 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:39:41 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Usman, when you think things are broken, you should call Support.

But I think you have a few misconceptions about netmon.  It is never in
idle state, so far as I know.  I don't work on it, and there are others who
are more expert at configuring it than I am, but it's basic design is a big
"wheel" that turns from one task to another the entire time the daemon is
active.   And it only writes to the netmon.trace file when it encounters
what it thinks is an error or when you tell it to.  An empty  netmon.trace
file doesn't mean that it is not active.   Try setting the netmon trace
flag to negative 1 (netmon -M -1) for awhile, which will cause netmon to
write everything it is doing to the trace file.  You can set it back  with
"netmon -M 0".  If you want help understanding what's going on when you get
the trace, then I'd call Support.

There are also a  whole host of netmonaction command options (netmonaction
<number>) which will show you the lists that netmon is keeping.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             usman.taokeer@s-i
             ii.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/08/2006 04:30          [nv-l] Netmon Not Responding
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Hi List,

Windows 2003 SP1
Netview 7.1.4 FP03,FP04
DB2 8.2 i.e 8.1fp10a

Whenever we try to "Demand Poll" or "Quick Test Critical" etc. on any node
it just keeps saying the following:
"Waiting for the netmon on the server to respond". Why isn't netmon
responding? It does so even if Netmon is in idle state. Are there any
compatibility issues with Windows 2003 SP1?  There are around 1200 Nodes on
the Map and we have a lot of traps coming in from different routers all
over the country, but it shouldn't be causing netmon to stop responding ?
Any clues, the netmon.trace file is empty!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Usman
Si3.