[nv-l] [NV-L]: Status Polling Public Addresses on MSCS Clusters

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] [NV-L]: Status Polling Public Addresses on MSCS Clusters
From: "Jon Austin" <AUSTINJ@email.chop.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:14:10 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:16:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I'm building up a new (greenfield) NV environment and looking toward
implementing as much 'automated' status polling as possible.
NV is forwarding to TEC using the out-of-the-box TEC_ITS ruleset,
rules, and such.

For our Microsoft Clusters, I'm being asked by our architect to solve
the problem of the unsuccessful cluster failover.

In this scenario, let's take a simple two-node, active-passive
configuration. Both nodes with proper SNMP configuration,
and for fun, status polling is done via SNMP rather than ICMP.

In the example, MSCS doesn't completely fail over to the a passive
node
for some reason, but both devices are still
online via their primary interfaces, and can respond to SNMP GETs. In
the scenario, the active has dropped it's cluster IP address, but
it hasn't been assigned onto the passive node.

In testing using nmdemandpoll to speed up the polling interval, I've
seen for a successful failover, the TEC_ITS_INTERFACE_STATUS
events come through from NV on the primary node for the interface
deletions, but no events from NV on the passive node for inteface
additions.
An ovtopodump does show the interface object moved from active to
passive. trapd.log shows the deletes and adds.

Doesn't look like SCE under NV->TEC adapter did anything to the events
sent over to TEC.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on solving this particular
scenario
that doesn't make it harder to maintain NV.??

Jon Austin
Tivoli/Unix Administrator
Information Systems
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia