Re: [nv-l] Correlation of Cisco WDS1030 traps

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Correlation of Cisco WDS1030 traps
From: ray.smith@clorox.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:03:19 -0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:04:07 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Jorge,

We worked with the WLSE a couple of years ago and found it a challenge to integrate from the ap's > wlse > netview > up to tec.  It seemed the ap to wlse was a suited tool as you would expect.  And the wlse as you indicate was suited for trouble shooting and fat client management.

But to integrate up from the wlse to netview and on to tec, was easier said than done.  It turned out at that time, the wlse modified the trap and placed all of the info about the ap into $4. (not good)  Perhaps if we had gone straight from the ap to netveiw then the ap mibs and traps would have worked differently for us, but for security we only wanted the wlse to speak with the ap's.  Since the wlse was in the loop and the all of the information that was relevant to the ap and its health was kept in the one varbind of $4 in the trap.  We had to take a different road.

The approach we took, where 3rd level assisted us was;

parse the wlse cderMIBNotifications {1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.224.2} into a new trap and turn the original 7 varbinds into 16.  This allowed us to slot for tec each varbind so tec could understand what he was being sent.  Otherwise whatever tec slot was created for $4 was simply overwhelmed with information.

The mib for the wlse you are looking for is;

cisco device exception reporting mib (cderMIBNotifications {1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.224.2})

Ray Smith
"Chi fa falla, e chi non fa sfarfalla"

Justin Eagleson <justin_eagleson@gulfsoft.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com